If your goal is to become a fighter or to be able to defend yourself completely, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu has significant advantages over most other martial arts. It remains the only single style that addresses all areas of fighting completely without the need for cross-training. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu was designed as a fighting style to defeat other martial arts, where styles like Boxing, Karate, Kung Fu and Tae Kwon Do all specialize in striking someone, none of them present solutions for someone who is pinned on the ground; conversely, Jiu-jitsu offers solutions for defending against striking attacks while standing and on the ground in addition to all methods of grappling attacks. With the popularity of contests like the Ultimate Fighting Championship, you will see people naming their styles as Wrestling or Kickboxing, but they all (and must) supplement their training with Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. To this day, there are still fighters entering the cage with Brazilian Jiu-jitsu as their only method of training to ensure their victories.
The Military has recognized the effectiveness of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu as a martial art not only for sportive contests, but in the real world as well. America’s Army cannot afford to buy into theories or Hollywood myths about martial arts; for a soldier, knowledge of martial arts is life and death, not a hobby or a film script. Through a scientific method, trial and error and process of elimination, The United States Army chose Brazilian Jiu-jitsu to be the core of their Combatives Program. In 2002, SFC Matthew Larson re-wrote the Army Combatives Manual (FM 3-25.150) and made Brazilian Jiu-jitsu the backbone for the entire work. Today, it is hard to find any elite Military or Law Enforcement agency that does not incorporate Brazilian Jiu-jitsu as a serious part of their doctrine.
12 reasons why Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is great for your mind and body:
1. Losing weight and gaining a ripped functional body
2. Helps release stress through riveting physical activity
3. Teaches you to protect yourself and your loved ones
4. Surprise yourself with what you’re capable of achieving
5. Avoid confusion and unnecessary situations
6. Make lifelong friends
7. Gain greater vigor and energy throughout the day
8. Quit cigarettes and other bad habits
9. Become full of self-confidence and self-love
10. Learn ways to change what you don’t like about your life!
11. Jiu Jitsu teaches you to move and to use your body improving your coordination
12. Gives you another goal to achieve in life, should you choose to master the art or achieve success in competition